Anyone who says that Madrid doesn’t have a proper fall season is mistaken.
Fall in Madrid is beautiful, with some of the best weather of the year. The city comes to life mid-September, as everyone is back from their summer holidays and over the stress from going back to work! Suddenly, there are too many events to count; new expositions and restaurant openings, back to school sales and a buzzing city that’s alive with energy.
From the foodie’s point of view, fall means that stews and braised meats are back on the menu, churros and chocolate are once again calling your name, and the local markets have a whole new array of delicious seasonal goodies on sale.
Here are some of the many reasons we love fall in Madrid!
1. The Weather
The average temperature in October is around 21°C (70°F). In other words, perfect. Combined with Madrid’s always blue sky and bright sunshine, you’ll soon see why it’s so wonderful!
2. The Fall Cuisine
Braised beef cheek, stewed bull tail, Cocido Madrileño (Madrid’s signature stew), churros and chocolate… the rich foods that we start to crave come fall are delicious and abundant in Madrid’s best bars and restaurants.
Some of our tour partners serve fantastic renditions of our fall favorites! Come meet (and eat) with us and don’t miss:
- El Anciano Rey de los Vinos for their famous bull tail tapa!
- Bar Omaira for her special braised beef cheek.
- Taberna la Bola for the proper Cocido Madrileño.
- Bar Chocolat for comforting churros and chocolate!
3. The Market Fresh Food
Fall is one of the best seasons for shopping at Madrid’s local markets. Here are some autumn foods in Madrid:
- Cherimoyas (custard apples)
- Olives/olive oil
- Sweet potatoes
- Mandarin oranges
4. Gorgeous Madrid Parks
Madrid’s parks are beautiful, especially in fall. Pack a picnic on a sunny afternoon and take in the fall foliage– it’s a must!
5. The Drinks
This may seem like a food focused list, but with good reason– Madrid is delicious! Fall is also when people stop frequenting the summer terraces and make their way back into their beloved bars. Some spots to knock one back:
- Vermouth at Dónde Sánchez in Mercado Antón Martín, while snacking on delicious delicacies from Paz’s gourmet shop.
- Sweet wine at La Casa del Abuelo where you can take in the atmosphere at a 100 year old tavern.
- Cocktails at Del Diego, where Fernando del Diego himself will most likely mix your drink.
- Cava at Taberna la Concha, where their rosé cava is a delicious change from the usual.
- A beer at Los Gatos Calle Jesús, famous for serving Mahou, Madrid’s most famous beer.
- A craft brew at Mercado San Fernando, where La Buena Pinta serves a great selection.
6. Events, events, events!
Fall in Madrid is the time that everyone is starting something new. You can sign up for language lessons, try dance classes, attend lectures, and see expositions. To check what’s coming up:
- Madrid Free (inexpensive Madrid events)
- Cheap in Madrid (more cheap events in Madrid!)
- Naked Madrid (helpful Madrid agenda in English)
- Madrid Diferente (a Spanish listing of monthly events)
These are only some of the many reasons fall in Madrid is so wonderful. Whether you are here for a couple of days, or have lived here all your life, there is something for everyone (and if you’re with us, it probably involves food!).
What’s your favorite fall activity in Madrid?
You can eat with Madrid Food Tour this fall and try some of the delicious foods mentioned above. It’s our favorite time of year– come visit us!
Picture of Retiro Park by Julia Sponseller.