From historic icons to modern marvels, there’s something in Madrid that everyone will love!
Madrid is the perfect place for a family getaway. There’s plenty to do for kids, but adults will still be able to have a great time. The city is easily walkable and offers a safe, efficient public transit system that makes it a breeze to get from point A to point B. However, a successful trip requires some prior thought and planning—especially with kids in tow. Here’s our guide to planning an unforgettable family holiday in Madrid that the whole gang will remember forever!
When to go
The best part about planning a family holiday in Madrid is that no matter what time of year you go, you’re sure to have a great time! However, if we had to choose, we would opt for visiting in the spring and fall. You’ll miss peak tourist high season and enjoy Madrid like a local, with lovely temperatures and plenty to do.
If you’re on a tighter budget and don’t mind a bit of cold, consider visiting in the winter. Many hotels drop their prices in the off season—perfect for a family holiday in Madrid that won’t break the bank!
Where to stay
Madrid has dozens of rich, vibrant neighborhoods, each unique in its own way. There’s no right or wrong answer to where to stay during a family holiday in Madrid! Consider somewhere that is close to the attractions you and your family want to see, with reliable public transportation and great food options nearby. Check out our Madrid neighborhood guide to find which of the city’s barrios is the perfect fit for you and your family.
Flexible on location? Consider one of these great hotels in Madrid that are perfect for families.
- Preciados Hotel: With a privileged location right in the heart of Madrid, this hotel features gorgeous, spacious rooms and an onsite restaurant with a kids’ menu.
Address: Calle de Preciados, 37
- Petit Palace Posada del Peine: This lovely hotel near Plaza Mayor is full of freebies! From free iPads to bike rentals to breakfast for kids and more, it’s one of the best deals for a family holiday in Madrid.
Address: Calle Postas, 17
- Hotel Quatro Puerta del Sol: Home to modern, contemporary rooms (many of which are family-style), this urban, cosmopolitan hotel features many family-friendly amenities, from a breakfast buffet to babysitting services upon request.
Address: Calle de Sevilla, 4
What to do
There’s plenty to see and do during your family holiday in Madrid! Here are a few of our favorite kid-friendly activities.
- Madrid for Kids Walking Tour with Activities & Snacks: Designed exclusively for families with kids ages 4-12, this private walking tour will delight and enchant the whole family. And of course, there’s plenty of food along the way!
- Royal Palace: Kids will love the opportunity to walk in the footsteps of real-life kings and queens at the Spanish Royal Family’s grandiose official residence.
Address: Calle de Bailén, s/n
- Visit the park: From the cable car at Casa de Campo to boating around the lovely lake in Retiro, there are plenty of beautiful green spaces in Madrid that the whole family will love.
- Kid-friendly museums: Climb aboard vintage train cars at the Railway Museum (Paseo de las Delicias, 61) or explore natural wonders at the National Museum of Natural Sciences (Calle de José Gutiérrez Abascal, 2), both of which are kid-approved!
Plan the perfect trip with our guide of where (and what!) to eat, what to do and where to stay in Madrid with kids. Just add your email address in the form below!
Life is too short to speak one language and stay in one place. In 2015, this philosophy took her from familiar Ohio to sunny southern Spain. Usually drinking tinto de verano, reading Lorca, or attempting to dance flamenco (not all at once). Follow her blog, Viatic Couture, for more.