At Devour Tours our mission is to give curious visitors to Spain a true taste of this country’s culture, history and – importantly – food! We proudly partner with family-run establishments, we believe in ethical and sustainable tourism and are passionate about helping our tour guests feel like locals. We work hard, we demand excellence of ourselves and those we work with, and we take a keen interest in the professional development of the people on our team.
If you’re excited by our mission, passionate about sharing your knowledge for Spain and would love to work for a leading company in this country’s fast-paced tourism industry, then we want to hear from you!
Below are the positions we currently have available. Having said that, we are always looking to hear from smart, motivated people who would love to work for a young, vibrant and ambitious company like Devour Tours. Even if we don’t have a place for you right now – we’ll certainly take notice and give you a ring when something comes up.
Devour Madrid City Coordinator
Now accepting applications for an early June start date.
Love Madrid? Love travel, tourism, food, and wine? Love supporting small businesses when you shop or dine? We are searching for a travel professional to join our growing team. The City Coordinator is a multifaceted entry level management role based in the center of Madrid. You’ll guide food and wine tours and be responsible for training and managing a team of guides. You’ll also be responsible for the behind-the-scenes administrative tasks that make our tours and experiences award-winning. You will complete detailed tasks (such as updating excels, calling vendors, and scheduling tours) that ensure Madrid’s operations run smoothly. Additionally, you may create content (blog and social media) for Devour Madrid and/or other Devour Tours cities. Responsibilities will vary by season.
This role reports to the Devour Madrid City Manager.
Salary (Gross/Bruto per year): €17,000-€19,000
About Devour Madrid
Devour Madrid is part of the award-winning Spanish tour operator, Devour Tours. With a strong presence in Madrid, Barcelona, Seville, Malaga, Granada, San Sebastian and Galicia, Devour Tours shares the very best Spanish food with guests from around the world, while giving them valuable insight into Spain’s rich culture and history.
We are growing quickly and need a highly professional, passionate and motivated person to join our team in this support role. Our approach is highly customer-focused, we demand excellence of ourselves and our mission is to provide unforgettable experiences for our guests. Our tours have been featured in the Sunday Times, The Guardian, CNN, NPR, Washington Post and we have received a TripAdvisor Award of Excellence for the past five years running.
Please read the job description below and if you think you’re the person we’re looking for, we can’t wait to hear from you.
What we offer:
A full-time contract based in Madrid. The role is temporary to start (6 months) but could turn into a long-term position if company growth goals are met. Competitive pay and benefits along with the opportunity to join a fast-growing, industry-leading company and develop your career in one of Spain’s most exciting sectors. Staff receive friends and family discounts on tours as well as continuous training about Spanish food and drink while working for us.
Please note: This position’s schedule includes evenings, weekends and holidays as tourism is 24/7. A flexible schedule is a must.
- is legally allowed to work in Spain
- has lived in Madrid for at least two years and knows its culture, history and food scene inside out
- is a fluent English speaker, with a proficient level of Spanish
- is highly organized and extremely detail-oriented and able to complete tasks successfully and efficiently
- has experience with Google docs and Google Sheets or Excel
- doesn’t wait to be told what to do, but uses initiative to do what needs doing and takes personal responsibility for solving problems and producing results
- is passionate about creating and refining systems so repetitive tasks are completed efficiently
- is able to manage simultaneous projects – providing timelines and hitting those deadlines
- is tech-savvy and adept at using multiple email accounts, social media accounts, Google calendars, our online booking system
- listens to feedback and acts on it
- is excited about coming up with ideas that can add to growth for the company
- training/experience in the tourism industry is ideal
- loves people and has a warm, energetic personality and an ability to connect with others – whether clients if guiding or the vendors we work with
- is extremely articulate, a great public speaker, storyteller, and communicator, whether verbal or written
The successful candidate will also have:
- your finger on the pulse of food and tourism in Madrid and surroundings and be interested in growing your knowledge of the local history and local gastronomic/cultural scene so as to be better able to evaluate tours and create useful content.
- passion and excitement for the tourism industry and Devour Tours’ mission
- some form of previous management experience or a leadership role within a team
- excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- a dual-minded approach: Highly creative and an excellent guide but also able to be task-driven and extremely detail oriented
- strong computer skills, experience using a range of diverse programs, and the ability to quickly learn and effectively utilize new tools
- A dedication to self-education (i.e. someone who is constantly learning, reading, and staying current with trends across a range of subjects)
- Personal travel experience within Spain
- Plus: exceptional writing and editing skills, as well as the ability to adapt the style, tone, and voice of various types of content. Meticulous grammar and experience creating and editing content (experience with WordPress ideal). Knowledge of SEO a plus.
How to Apply
Please send an email to email@example.com. In the subject line include your first and last names and the words “Devour Madrid City Coordinator Application”.
In the email, you must include:
• A brief statement (approximately a paragraph) about why you think you’d make a great City Coordinator with Devour Madrid.
• State any previous employment experience, studies or credentials that you think would be relevant to your application.
• State how long you have lived in Madrid
• State your level of English and Spanish
• Attached a recent photo in jpeg format (and a link to a video of you if one exists online)
• Attach your CV in English in either .doc or .pdf format and be sure that it includes contact information for previous employers (so we can contact them for references)
Only complete applications will be considered. We will contact suitable candidates by email to set up an interview.
Many thanks for your interest in working with Devour Madrid.
Food Tour Guides Needed
Status: We accept applications on a rolling basis for vacancies that may open up throughout the year.
Do you love Madrid and Spain? Do you love Spanish food? Can you command a crowd, make them listen and make them laugh? Then you might be a perfect candidate for a job as a food tour guide with Madrid Food Tour. We’re currently looking for qualified and enthusiastic guides. If you think you might be the right person, check the application requirements below and get in touch.
What makes a great food tour guide?
You need to make a great first impression, be a fantastic storyteller, have an infectious sense of humor, be adept at thinking quickly on your feet, be responsible and detail-oriented and be empathetic and highly sensitive to people’s backgrounds, cultures, and differences.
We want people who are passionate about Madrid, Spain, and this country’s cuisine, and who know how to communicate that passion to others and make them as excited as you.
What we offer…
Guides give approximately 2 to 5 tours a week (depending on the season and including daytime and nighttime shifts), and each tour lasts an average of four hours. Once you’re all trained up, you’ll earn a competitive per-tour rate plus tips. Guides also receive friends and family discounts on our tours as well as continuous free training about Madrid and Spanish food and drink while working for us.
- Have a native or very high level of English, with a high level of Spanish
- Be allowed to work in Spain and registered (or willing to register) as an autónomo
As an ethical employer, we only work with autónomo guides, meaning you can legally invoice us and we can legally pay you. Becoming autónomo is very easy (we can help get you set up) and note that under current laws in Madrid, for the first 18 months you’ll only pay €50/month social security.
Please note: if you are on a student visa this does not allow you to be autónomo and unfortunately means you’re not able to work with us.
- Have lived in Madrid for at least one year
- Have a smartphone and be easily reachable via it to advise about last minute tours, tour changes and other information (whether via Whatsapp, SMS or email)
- Have access to internet at home and check their email at least once a day; and
- Be available for monthly staff meetings and periodic (fun!) training sessions.
We prefer applicants to have a smartphone and be easily reachable via it (to advise about last minute tours, tour changes and other information).
How to apply…
Please send an email in English to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line include your first and last names and the words “Tour Guide Application”.
In the email, you must include:
- A brief statement (approximately a paragraph) about why you think you’d make a great food tour guide with Madrid Food Tour. Make your paragraph striking and witty – this is your first chance to show us your personality.
- State any previous experience, studies or credentials that you think would be relevant to your application.
- State how long you have lived in Madrid.
- State your level of English and Spanish.
- State your availability
- State your age
Please attach to the email:
- A recent photo in jpeg format (or a link to a video of you if one exists online – please do not attach videos)
- Your CV in English in either .doc or .pdf format
- Anything else you’d like us to consider (links to a blog, YouTube channel, etc.)
Before you send the email, please check you’ve included everything we ask for above. Only complete applications will be considered.
We will contact suitable candidates by email to set up an interview.
Freelance Content Writer (remote)
– Has lived or spent a significant time in at least one of the following places: Galicia, Granada, Valencia, or San Sebastian.
– Has strong writing skills
– Is knowledgeable about Spanish culture and food
– Understands importance of fact checking
– Knows how to meet deadlines—no excuses here
-Please send your CV to email@example.com and state your relevant experience.
-Submit a 300-word writing sample on 5 Things to Do in one of the cities mentioned above to firstname.lastname@example.org
For any questions regarding the position, please email email@example.com!