We are hiring!
Below are the positions we currently have available. Having said that, we are always looking to hear from smart, motivated people who would love to work for a young, vibrant and ambitious company like Devour Spain. Even if we don’t have a place for you right now – we’ll certainly take notice and give you a ring when something comes up.
Food Tour Guides Needed
Status: We accept applications on a rolling basis for vacancies that may open up throughout the year.
Do you love Madrid and Spain? Do you love Spanish food? Can you command a crowd, make them listen and make them laugh? Then you might be a perfect candidate for a job as a food tour guide with Madrid Food Tour. We’re currently looking for qualified and enthusiastic guides. If you think you might be the right person, check the application requirements below and get in touch.
What makes a great food tour guide?
You need to make a great first impression, be a fantastic storyteller, have an infectious sense of humor, be adept at thinking quickly on your feet, be responsible and detail-oriented and be empathetic and highly sensitive to people’s backgrounds, cultures, and differences.
We want people who are passionate about Madrid, Spain, and this country’s cuisine, and who know how to communicate that passion to others and make them as excited as you.
What we offer…
Guides give approximately 2 to 5 tours a week (depending on the season and including daytime and nighttime shifts), and each tour lasts an average of four hours. Once you’re all trained up, you’ll earn a competitive per-tour rate plus tips. Guides also receive friends and family discounts on our tours as well as continuous free training about Madrid and Spanish food and drink while working for us.
- Have a native or very high level of English, with a high level of Spanish
- Be allowed to work in Spain and registered (or willing to register) as an autónomo. As an ethical employer, we only work with autónomo guides, meaning you can legally invoice us and we can legally pay you. Becoming autónomo is very easy (we can help get you set up) and note that under current laws in Madrid, for the first 18 months you’ll only pay €50/month social security. Please note: if you are on a student visa this does not allow you to be autónomo and unfortunately means you’re not able to work with us.
- Have lived in Madrid for at least one year
- Have a smartphone and be easily reachable via it to advise about last minute tours, tour changes and other information (whether via Whatsapp, SMS or email)
- Have access to internet at home and check their email at least once a day; and
- Be available for monthly staff meetings and periodic (fun!) training sessions.
We prefer applicants to have a smartphone and be easily reachable via it (to advise about last minute tours, tour changes and other information).
How to apply…
Please send an email in English to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line include your first and last names and the words “Tour Guide Application”.
In the email, you must include:
- A brief statement (approximately a paragraph) about why you think you’d make a great food tour guide with Madrid Food Tour. Make your paragraph striking and witty – this is your first chance to show us your personality.
- State any previous experience, studies or credentials that you think would be relevant to your application.
- State how long you have lived in Madrid.
- State your level of English and Spanish.
- State your availability
- State your age
Please attach to the email:
- A recent photo in jpeg format (or a link to a video of you if one exists online – please do not attach videos)
- Your CV in English in either .doc or .pdf format
- Anything else you’d like us to consider (links to a blog, YouTube channel, etc.)
Before you send the email, please check you’ve included everything we ask for above. Only complete applications will be considered.
We will contact suitable candidates by email to set up an interview.