Hidden Madrid Neighborhood Food & Market Tour
Go off the beaten path on our insider's Madrid food tour! Explore the gorgeous Literary Quarter and taste local specialties at family-run shops and the neighborhood market!
- An off-the-beaten-path food tour through Madrid's vibrant Literary Quarter
- Unforgettable visits to Madrid's owner-operated specialty shops, market stalls and tapas bars
- A gourmet wine and cheese pairing at our favorite neighborhood deli
- Access to the secret back room of Madrid’s oldest grocery store, where you'll taste the best local products
- Tasting tour through the historic Antón Martín Market to meet the vendors, learn their stories and taste their incredible food
- The chance to experience Madrid's midday tradition of cold vermouth and delicious tapas
- Madrid's best churros and chocolate
- 4 delicious styles of Spanish artisanal cheese
- Artisan jams, honeys & olive oils
- Homemade vinegar-cured anchovies
- Slow-roasted Spanish pork atop homemade bread
- 2 styles of Spain's famous cured ham (including best-of-the-best Iberian jamón)
- Mouthwatering cured smoked beef—a local delicacy
- 6 styles of olives, most only available in Spain
- Madrid's creamiest cheesecake baked in 100+ year old ovens!
- Tostas—Madrid's go-to tapa!
- Steaming homemade hot chocolate
- Spanish red wine
- Spanish white wine
- Sparkling, dry Spanish cava
- Sweet red Spanish vermouth straight from the tap!
What to Expect on Your Tour
Discover Madrid’s gorgeous, off-the-beaten-path Literary Quarter on a daytime foodie adventure! You’ll fall in love with this neighborhood’s cobblestone streets and everyday charm as you taste delicious bites from family-run eateries and wander through one of Madrid’s best local markets. In between tastes, you’ll find out why it’s called the Literary Quarter today as your expert guide brings Spain’s literary idols—who have lived and eaten in this neighborhood for centuries— to life!
Start your morning off right with freshly fried churros and thick, homemade Spanish hot chocolate. Find out why these aren’t your average churros, and why they’re some of the best in Madrid!
Next, you’ll head to the neighborhood’s oldest gourmet grocery store. Your expert guide will take you to the secret back room to taste various jams and honeys, olive oil and a few other sweet surprises.
On to the next stop! You’ll head to our favorite local deli where you’ll try three different types of Spanish cheeses paired with two wines.
Now it’s time to pop into one of Madrid’s best local markets, where you’ll meet the vendors and taste their specialties. First up is an olive tasting, where you’ll try six different olives, and a vinegar-cured anchovy if you dare!
Next up, you’ll see a more modern side to the market as you taste delicious slow-roasted pork porchetta on freshly baked bread. Though inherently Italian, this recipe is made with 100% Spanish ingredients!
As you wind your way through the market, your expert guide will point out a few of the more traditional stalls.
Finally, at the last market stop, you’ll meet a local expert on jamón and cured meats, and you’ll try three of his best—jamón serrano, jamón ibérico and cured beef!
After the market, you’ll head to a neighborhood bar to enjoy Madrid’s quintessential aperitif—an ice-cold vermouth poured straight from the tap—with a selection of gourmet open-faced toasts.
And to finish, it’s time for something sweet! You’ll visit a local bakery to try the creamiest cheesecake in Madrid!
And as with all Devour Madrid tours, your guide will give you a copy of our Devouring Madrid guide, which is packed with all our favorite places to eat and drink in the city! So put down your guidebook and get ready to experience Madrid like a local!
About Our Expert Guides
Your tour will be lead by one of our expert, English-speaking guides. They’re all gifted storytellers who are smart, passionate and talented and whose excitement for this country is contagious!Meet them here!
Map Your Tour
One of Madrid’s most historic local neighborhoods and a place where Spain’s literary idols have lived (and eaten!) for centuries.
Rave Reviews for This Tour
I learned so much about Spanish cuisine and culture and got to experience markets and shops that I would not have been able to find or navigate on my own. I have been on a lot of food tours in many countries across Europe and Asia, and I have to say that this tour ranks among the top in terms of value and variety.
First, I am not a tour person. Until now. Our tour, of the Hidden Madrid Food & Market Adventure, was a highlight of my time in Madrid... By the time we were done, we were extremely full experts in some of the best Spanish food... Thanks so much for the wonderful experience.
Our tour guide, Sanne, couldn't have been better and more enthusiastic! She shared the amazing history surrounding the neighborhood as well as the fantastic food of Madrid and the stories behind the food. WE LOVED EVERYTHING ABOUT THE TOUR!... We left very full--the tastings are not samplings but legitimate servings.