Tapas, Taverns & History Tour
Madrid's top-rated tapas tour! This 2-in-1 adventure combines amazing tapas and a fascinating walking tour of Madrid’s historic center.
- Learn how to do tapas like a local -- from choosing an authentic tapas bar to the unwritten rules of ordering and paying!
- Reach out and touch history as you visit 100+ year old tapas bars, many of which are still family owned and operated!
- Taste the best authentic tapas in Madrid, carefully selected from Madrid’s 3000+ tapas bars!
- Bring Madrid to life with authentic tapas, iconic beverages and captivating stories of the city's history and culture.
- Discover how a village became the capital of an empire in the streets and squares where that transformation took place!
- Taste 100 year old family recipes-- and try to guess their secrets!
- Spain's No. 1-rated cured black hoof Iberian ham
- Freshly-made pan con tomate (bread with fresh tomato and olive oil)
- Sizzling garlic shrimp cooked in the moment
- The best grilled mushrooms you will ever taste
- Beer battered calamari fried in olive oil
- Crispy fried potatoes in a homemade red pepper sauce
- Paprika-spiced pork chorizo
- Padrón peppers. Will you score the spicy one?
- Freshly-picked white anchovies
- Eggplant medallions drizzled with smokey honey
- Local olives grown right here in Madrid!
- Coconut cookies baked by nuns!
- Sweet Spanish vermouth straight from the tap
- "The red wine of summer" (the local's sangria!)
- Red, white or fortified wine from the Toro region
- Selection of red tempranillo wines & white wines
- Sweet moscatel dessert wine
What to Expect on Your Tour
Madrid’s tapas scene is famous, and famously confusing. They say there are more tapas bars than trees in Madrid, but how do you spot the good ones?
Join us to discover four of the best tapas bars in the city center while you learn the tricks of the trade of doing tapas like a local in Madrid!
Along the way you’ll discover the fascinating history of this ancient city in the grand plazas and mystery-filled streets where it all happened! With hundreds of rave 5-star Trip Advisor reviews, this is the top-rated tapas tour in Madrid!
Your evening will begin in true local style with award-winning Joselito acorn-fed Iberian ham (running upwards of €900 a leg and regarded by experts the best jamón in the country) paired with cool Spanish vermouth served on tap. You’ll taste sizzling garlic prawns from the century-old tapas bar credited with inventing the dish, dive into hidden taverns serving delicious and unique house specialties and sit down to hot-off-the-grill plates from the bustling bar that famous chef and bizarre foods lover Andrew Zimmern loved (when he visited with one of our guides no less!). Of course, you’ll wash the tapas down with excellent Spanish wine, vermouth and other drinks.
But great food and wine are just the start. On this 2-in-1 tapas and history tour, we’ll fill your mind as well as your belly. Between taverns your guide will lead you past the Spanish capital’s most emblematic sites and its hidden historic corners. From the city’s Moorish beginnings, through the Spanish inquisition to the Spanish civil war – you’ll walk through Madrid’s fascinating history and get a true understanding of the incredible events that shaped this city.
As with all Devour Madrid food tours, you’ll get a copy of our Devouring Madrid mini-guide, which is packed with all our favourite places to eat and drink in the city, so you’ll be eating well for the rest of your stay! Join us to experience the city’s amazing tapas, incredible wine, culture, sights and history. It’s the best way to understand and appreciate all that Madrid has to offer!
Book your spots now (tickets sell out quickly) and eat with us on Madrid’s #1 tapas tour.
About Our Expert Guides
Your tour will be lead by one of our expert, English-speaking guides. They’re all gifted storytellers who are smart, passionate and talented and whose excitement for this country is contagious!Meet them here!
Map Your Tour
Explore Madrid's most famous historic squares and hidden lanes in the capital's majestic centre
Rave Reviews for This Tour
We booked a Devour tour for the first night we flew into Madrid. Best decision ever. Joy was our guide - an amazing one at that - and showed us the city exactly how we would've wanted to see it. Amazing local food and drinks with tons of interesting history sprinkled throughout. After 4 hours with Joy (which FLEW by), we knew where to go, what we wanted to see for the remainder of our trip and had awesome suggestions for everything from restaurants, to shows, to historical spots - hands down an amazing tour.
Oliver had the unique ability to bring the history to life as seen through a visitor's eyes, whereas, in other tours, the guides regurgitated the information from memory. It was a great tour, a lot of food, and a great experience. Definitely worth every penny and more.
Each place is a small family run business loved by locals that you wouldn't necessarily know about without guidance. The food and drink were delicious, giving us a strong sense of the city's culture even as we were learning about its history... A wonderful experience that made Madrid come alive for us.